Idasa’s Gary Pienaar spoke on the role of civil society in promoting transparency in political party financing in SADC at Transparency International’s launch of a report in Johannesburg on 28 September. He listed broad motives for regulating public finance as:
• Promote democratic principles of transparency and accountability – Art. 10 of AU Convention; Art. 7 of UNCAC
• Prevent corruption and unethical conduct
• Enhance fair political competition between parties
• Ensure that (poor) voters’ democratic preferences are not overwhelmed by secret moneyed interests
• Empower voters through disclosure of donations, thereby promoting greater political participation
• Strengthen parties as effective participants in the democratic arena
See the presentation made here.