Corruption is a calamity for Cameroon’s agriculture and food security -activist

Cameroonians could face serious problems producing and accessing enough food to feed themselves unless the government and its citizens take on corrupt agricultural officials. An investigation into the allocation of maize subsidies between 2006 and 2008 revealed that officials in the agriculture ministry of Cameroon’s had created fictitious farmers’ groups, allocating 62 percent of the subsidies to these groups each year and leaving only 38 percent to reach genuine farmers. According to many experts, it is only possible for Africa to survive on its own without international aid if the continent’s leaders and its people showed responsibility and commitment to development. Read more here and here.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: